Thursday, April 28, 2016

Heaven's band

         I'm not sure you have heard, but the singer/songwriter/musician Prince died just a bit of time ago.
         I was sitting and meditating on what all this means in the grand scope of things.
         I couldn’t help but remember all those who have gone before. Who’s up there singing hymns of all kind right now.
         Let’s start with that guy from Tupelo, Miss. Name of Elvis. Perhaps you’ve heard of him. And Jim Croce. And maybe Michael, and maybe George and maybe… You get the picture.
         Remember this:
         If you believe in forever
         Then life is just a one-night stand
         If there's a rock n' roll heaven
         Well you know they've got a hell of a band, band, band
         I tell you this to say that I've listened to more Prince music this week than I've ever listened to. I even have a channel now designated for Prince music on satellite radio.
         In the end, I was struck by many things, all mostly unknown before now. The most surprising element of his story was the part that loved Christ. 
         Read this song, The Cross by Prince, and Love Ran Red by Chris Tomlin (the leading contemporary Christian music songwriter) and you decide.

Black day, stormy night
No love, no hope in sight
Don't cry, he is coming
Don't die without knowing the cross
Ghettos 2 the left of us
Flowers 2 the right
There'll be bread 4 all of us
If we can just bear the cross
Sweet song of salvation
A pregnant mother sings
She lives in starvation
Her children need all that she brings
We all have our problems
Some BIG, some are small
Soon all of our problems
Will be taken by the cross
Black day, stormy night
No love, no hope in sight
Don't cry 4 he is coming
Don't die without knowing the cross
Ghettos 2 the left of us
Flowers 2 the right
There'll be bread 4 all, y'all
If we can just, just bear the cross, yeah


AND TOMLIN’S
There's a place where mercy reigns and never dies
There's a place where streams of grace flow deep and wide
Where all the love I've ever found
Comes like a flood
Comes flowing down

[Chorus:]
At the cross
At the cross
I surrender my life
I'm in awe of You
I'm in awe of You
Where Your love ran red
And my sin washed white
I owe all to You
I owe all to You Jesus

         I don’t know Prince’s faith journey at all. But I know the cross puts us as equals in humility and in burden.
         I would love to hear the conversation going on between Prince and Rich Mullins right now. And who knows who else might be joining in.
        
         

No comments: