Tuesday, February 9, 2016

A matter of faith

In ministry, even in life I reckon (not that ministry isn't life), you come across a handful of folks who are -- for the lack of a better word -- special. Special, as in unique, as in kind, as in loving, as in all-knowledgeable, as in unforgettable.

At every church, these folks are the ones who make things happen, not the pastor. They are the ones who serve without much recognition, without even much thanks. When they are stricken with illness, serious illness at that, everyone in the church feels it, like a virus going around snagging only the church elite, again for lack of a better word. You know these folks.

I remember my dear friend Doug who once upon a time put a new roof on our house out of the goodness of his heart. When he was stricken with Parkinson's, it affected us all. Still does till this minute. We once tried to heal him by the power of our faith, with healing oil and ceremony and deep, deep prayer. We failed, or at best he was used in some way by our all-knowing God. 

There was slight of frame but big of heart Miss Betty, who three weeks into my first appointment was stricken and soon died. She was the only one who knew where everything was, like the check book. 

There was Danny, who would do anything for anybody, but his back was a hindrance to much physical labor. Or Doyle, who could build anything and would if you simply asked.

Or ... the list goes on and on like a winding highway into the dark, I'm afraid.

Now, there is Miss Laurine, who had made my current appointment possible in a thousand ways. I've never met anyone who knew everyone before, including back ground, where they went to school, when they went to school, heck maybe what grades they made since she either taught them or was the principal of them. She is a wonder. And yes, when I go in her office at the church there are times I feel I've been called back into the principal's office (not that I know what that seems like... just saying).

She's one of those aforementioned folks. Special. Kind. Loving. Certainly all-knowledgeable, unforgettable and a fan of sports. Try finding someone to help you in an office who can do all that. Nah. Didn't think so.

Now she's sick, and our world has turned upside down and inside out. 

I'm reminded of this on a cool bright morning. 

"He was teaching in one of the meeting places on the Sabbath. There was a woman present, so twisted and bent over with arthritis that she couldn’t even look up. She had been afflicted with this for eighteen years. When Jesus saw her, he called her over. “Woman, you’re free!” He laid hands on her and suddenly she was standing straight and tall, giving glory to God."

See, through it all, through it all, I believe God heals, makes whole, takes care of our brokenness. And cancer, Parkinson's, and whatever the next dang thing that comes along can't overcome the incredible power of the Holy Spirit. I believe that He is still in the healing business. I believe He still moves in our lives.

And I believe in the promise that God will turn all things to the good for those who love him. I know she loves him. 

So, we wait for the healing, either supernaturally or through the expertise of the doctors. 

Jesus' brother James wrote this: Are any among you sick? They should call for the elders of the church, and have them pray over them, anointing them with oil in the name of the Lord. The prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise them up; and anyone who has committed sins will be forgiven.

Bless the Lord, O my should, and forget not all God's benefits. The Lord forgives all our iniquity and heals all our diseases.

I, the frailest of the frail, lift up those who are ill today, and in the name of Jesus I banish that dang criminal we call cancer. Let it be so, Lord. Let it be so.

No comments: