Monday, November 23, 2015

I didn't know

Back in that other occupation, in the midst of covering the Saints for a while for another newspaper I remember one of the most famous of blow ups by a coach, one Jim Mora who said one Sunday to a reporter who asked something that isn’t nearly as famous, “You never know. You think you know, but you don’t know. You’ll never know.”
            You don’t know. It’s said in so many circumstances, but you know what, you never know. 
            When I came to Coushatta just a few months ago, I thought I knew, but I didn’t know. I didn’t know I could be diagnosed with so many things. I didn’t know there were so many things.
            But I didn’t know.
            I thought I knew, but I didn’t know.
            Here’s the point: I didn’t know what lay ahead because you can’t know what lies ahead.
            You think you know, and you plan and you plan, but you can never know. The idea, then, is to put your trust somewhere.
            Can you trust in reading diagnoses like my cousin does on the Internet? Nope. Not even if you’re a doctor.
            Can you trust in your bank book or your 401-K or your portfolio? I’m afraid not.
            What you can trust in is not your knowledge, your abilities or even your readings of the scripture. No, you can’t trust in anything or anyone but the God who sits on the throne, the Son who sits to the right hand and/or the Spirit who lives and breathes with us.
            Here’s something: Did you know the Greek word for Holy Spirit is pneuma, from which we get our English word, (wait for it) … pneumonia. 
            So,  very, very clearly I know I have the Holy Spirit living in me (and have had for many months.
            But just didn’t know.
            Till I knew.
            Understand?
            I thought so.

No comments: