Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Catching up in world falling apart

Wow, I take a break in blogging to make the move from Hades and all heck breaks loose.

First, our move...I plan everything. When the plan fails, I fall apart. Consider yesterday's plan a disaster.

Let's recap: Movers arrive an hour and a half late. Movers come with a truck too small to get the job done. Things overheard when movers arrive you never want to hear: "There's no way," as they walk the house and look at the boxes. By the way, to steal a line I heard this week, when we're not around or not looking, these boxes of stuff procreate. Like Bigfoot's existence, I know this to be true though I've not seen it.

So, movers filled one truck, and though I told them it would take two trucks or at least one longer than 26 feet, they waited to get a second truck till two hours had passed. Long, long story short, movers left house at 3:20 with a five hour trip ahead of them.

I left two hours earlier with two dogs and four cats who tried to out-scream each other for about two hours of the five-hour trip -- then about Baton Rouge the sky began to look like the day after Armageddon and it finally opened up and the deluge began.

I dripped into Coushatta around 6:30, 12 hours after having risen and began working. The movers arrived at 9:30 and worked four a solid hour. Mary arrived at 9:45. We found the bed clothes, but no pillows. We retired dead to the world about 11. Oh, my, goodness we were beat.

On to the bigger issues that I've not written about since the world began to turn upside down.

First, same-sex marriage. Now, everyone on the planet has written about this, but I must as a self-appointed blogger.

Let's all just calm down. The pastor still has the right to marry whomever he or she thinks should be married. Our denomination's book of discipline still says that we will not do this. Whatever your feelings about this decision by the Supreme Court, it does not nor can not dictate what goes on in our faith. Whatever your feelings about this decision, and I will only say I don't understand how marriage is a civil right under the constitution of this country, nothing has changed in Louisiana United Methodist churches. It probably will one day, and everyone on both sides will have to deal with that fact, but until it doesn't matter, a pastor still has the right to marry whomever he or she thinks should be married. It's that simple, but that complicated.

Finally, the Confederate flag in Mississippi and South Carolina and elsewhere.

We have a million things we need to solve in this country. This doesn't top the list. A piece of cloth doesn't dictate how one feels inside -- good or evil. I personally have never had a flag, don't want a flag and feel agitated a bit when I see the darn thing. But even though I love Mississippi and grew up in Mississippi and might even one day go back to Mississippi, this just isn't a big deal or shouldn't be. Take it down, put it in a museum and go back to trying to solve problems of education and other big things.

See, none of this, including movers who move at a glacial pace need bother us. We have the Lord of the Universe living in our being. What can be against us?

Now, if I could just find my pillows.

No comments: