Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Refuge in Him

So, I spent hours upon hours meeting, quite nicely and wonderfully, with all the clergy – or at least the ones I know – in the Louisiana annual conference and I feel tired but refreshed, if you know what I mean.

It is good to come before the house of the Lord, is it not?

This morning I’m again in the Psalms, which tell me, “O Lord, hear me as IU pray; pay attention to my groaning. Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God, for I pray to no one but you. Listen to my voice in the morning, Lord. Each morning I bring my requests to you and wait expectantly.”

Is that still all our expectancy? I truly wonder. We talk so much about numbers, shrinking attendance and such that I wonder if maybe God wouldn’t be just as happy to see increased obedience, growth in serving and an abundant amount of clearing space so He could operate?

We have enough people, money and resources to feed the world. I truly believe that. But is it going in all the right places, I wonder?

The Psalmist continued, “Therefore, the proud may not stand in your presence, for you hate all who do evil.”

The writer understood what I conceptually understand but do not demonstrate nearly enough. “Because of your unfailing love, I can enter your house; I will worship at your Temple with deepest awe.”

I’m still amazed at every one of these gatherings because they let me come in. I’m still amazed every time I’m asked to speak, pray, read, gargle in front of some of these people because I’m not them. Never was. And it has become very apparent in my later years that I will never be.

I am included because of His unfailing love. That’s the reason we come together.

“But let all who take refuge in your rejoice; let them sing joyful praises forever. Spread your protection over them, that all who love your name may be filled with joy.”

That’s my aim, goal, my most precious hope and prayer. Let the hurting say, we are covered in the love of Jesus. I am. I still am. I long for the joy that comes each morning. I long to see others with that joy. I do every time we come together.

We are all in this together, me, you, laity, clergy, churched and those who do yet know or have forgotten that they need the Savior of the world. We simply need to understand that, believe it, live it.

What would change in the world then?


O, God. Forgive me for not making a difference yesterday and pave the way for someone to come into my life this very day that your words through me can help.

No comments: