Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Keep pressing on dear Logan and so will I

A new song by Mandisa says:
I will follow, I will press on
Even when the walk feels long
Your hands hold me together
Your love is with me forever
Through the broken, through the victory
I will praise You through it all
And run hard 'til the race is done,
I'm gonna press on, press on

These lyrics are taken from Paul's ideas in Philippians: Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

We have a 15-year-old terrier mix who is acting "funny" if you would. She had surgery on Jan. 19

weeks ago to take some tumors off her body and fix an ear that was infected. She recovered nicely. But yesterday, yesterday she seemed quite out of it. She slept strangely and wouldn't get up when called. Then she stood there drunkenly and wouldn't move, wouldn't come, wouldn't do much. I prayed, and watched, and slept poorly while waking up and watching her.

She's better today, thank you Jesus, but I wonder just how much more she has in her. With all that is swirling around me in my life, I don't want to say goodbye to this wonderful girl anytime soon.

But part of me realizes that could happen. So ... I press on even as she presses on. I keep running even as she totters along. Fifteen years is older than even I am. 

Sometimes that's what we have. Just press on. Just keep going. Just keep trying. And when the running stops, we will know. 

As that great and wonderful man behind the curtain, Yogi Berra, once said, "It ain't over till it's over."

Then it is.

But not yet, dear Logan, not yet.

No comments: