Monday, November 24, 2014

It is well

In just a week, a teenager driving through our state fell asleep at the wheel participating an accident that killed five members of his family as they drove to Disney World, I participated in a funeral for a woman five years  younger than myself, heard about a sudden death of a colleague's husband and had a dear, dear former Bishop have a brain bleed and collapse (though he appears to be recovering as I write this).

It puts to mind the fragility of life, doesn't it?

So, this morning I call on scripture as my anchor, my walking stick, my airliner.

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?" the scriptures say.

We pray: Almighty God, look with pity upon the sorrow of your servants, for whom we pray. Amidst things they cannot understand, help them to trust in your care. Bless them and keep them. Make your face to shine upon them, and give them peace."

Finally, "Listen, I tell you a mystery! We will not all die, but we will all be changed. For this perishable body must put on imperishability, and this mortal body must put on immortality. Then the saying that is written will be fulfilled: 'Death has been swallowed up in victory.' 'Where O death, is your victory? Where, O Death, is your sting.' But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Let me put it another way. I was trudging around Facebook last night and came across a Youtube production of Bethel Church. I listened for the first time to a song called It is Well.

These are the lyrics:

Grander earth has quaked before
Moved by the sound of His voice
Seas that are shaken and stirred
Can be calmed and broken for my regard
Through it all, through it all
My eyes are on You
Through it all, through it all
It is well

I have put all my faith on these words. I have gone all in at the great spiritual betting parlor. I have given all I have and all I am believing that when death does come it is not the end because Jesus died to defeat death once and for all.

I believe that.

I must believe that.

I am waiting, sinner though I still am, because I believe the blood washed me clean and though I fail daily, He is there to pick me back up till that day when it no longer is necessary.

Though it all, through it all
My eyes are on You
Through it all, through it all
It is well, with me


No comments: