Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Grace that calls before we're aware: Why Methodism

If I was going to answer the question, why Methodism, I would be simple but truthful... it was where my friends went to church when I was 15 years old and able to drive to something other than my mother's church.

When I fell out of the church hard, like something falling off a roof, then returned to church 20 years or so later, I returned to the denomination I knew something about (though I really didn't). Turns out God had me in the one denomination where there is a beast called Local Pastor, a second-career entity in which persons of a, er, certain age could go through a licensing procedure and follow-up and become a pastor.

Of course, I wanted none of that when I returned to church. I just wanted to be whole.

What I've found over the years about the denomination is it is more, much more, of what I need. It is, as far as I'm concerned the least judgmental theologically of the denominations. It blends the head and the heart better in its doctrine than any of the others. It mixes social gospel with salvation gospel better than most. It serves to be in the middle of a listing left and a righteous right.

I don't worship at the feet of John Wesley, but I sure do admire what the man did, what the man believed and who the man was at his core, which isn't hard to discover by reading just about anything about him.

Since someone asked about prevenient grace, let me begin and end there. Wesley believed God is always calling us, even when we are not aware of this. Let me give an example: There was a time when I would drink to access, then sit up and watch television preaches on late night television. I strongly suspect that is prevenient grace. God was calling to me even when I was fighting with all my might against his call.

Look how that turned out. Nineteen years later, I've been in ministry for 16 years.

I believe the United Methodist Church, though it be hardly united these days, still is the best answer for who Jesus would have us be in today's culture. We have our leaks in the boat, but the boat still is floating.

No comments: