Monday, April 14, 2014

Just a little Aspercreme and everything will be okay

Whew. So now that's out there... In late June Mary and I will move to New Orleans to restart a church, which if I can understand the process is, well, I don't understand the process just yet.

What I know, I've read. What it sounds like is we take everything out down to the rafters and start over.

What I've read scares the bejeebees out of me. For example, one website on restarting churches says, "Both a NewStart church and a ReStart church require a qualified church planter to lead them." Uh, there you have it. There it is.

The question at the top of the program is, am I that?
The answer is absolutely in God's hands, because on the surface, though I've been told powers higher on the pay scale than myself have looked at my gifts and graces through some process I'm not completely aware of and I have been declared worthy.

This from a guy who sleepily Aspercremed under his arms yesterday morning. (And let me tell you if you ever want to wake up quickly, just do some of the same.)

In a book I read recently that was very dear to me and my thinking on all this, I read from Bishop Dottie Escobedo-Frank this: "As a result of the near-death experiences of many congregations today, denominational leaders are looking for ways to “revitalize” churches. The act of revitalization often starts with the assumption that what was once vital can be vital again, if church leaders simply do the same better. So congregations increase programs, budgets, and formulas. They look back in time, trying to recapture a period when the church’s role in society was vital. A church, seeking revitalization, typically does more of the same, but faster.
"However, the central story of our faith is the story of both death and resurrection. Followers of Christ like to live out the resurrection part of our faith, but they often aren't very comfortable dealing with what must come before resurrection - death.The church must be willing to live out its entire story, from beginning to end."
 
Only at Gretna have I come to a church on the upswing. Every church I've been at wanted more attendance, more members, more things to do, and everyone tried hard. Circumstances seemed to always be against us, though we grew together in many ways including loving the heck out of each other. And never let it be said that isn't something wonderful to.
 
But now...
Oh, now ...
We begin a new adventure where we stop what is in hopes of being a part of what is to come. Oh, my goodness is that both frightening and exciting.
 
Makes me want to go get some Aspercreme.
 
Off we go into the wild Bayou yonder. (Yeah, I know there is no Bayou by New Orleans, but nothing fit like that. Just saying.)
 
Here we come, New Orleans.

No comments: